Wednesday, October 21, 2015

861 Days

That's how long it's been since I last posted my first and only blog post!! 
A lot has happened between then and now... Here is a quick rundown:
  • I had my 3rd child. My second daughter. She is silly, a doll, and growing up WAY too fast.
  • We moved across town into a new and beautiful home. 
  • I decided was convicted that not only am I supposed to be a SAHM, but I was to be my children's teacher. We start Kindergarten in January! 
  • I am on a quest to lose #30before30.
The big thing going on currently is my Facebook Fast. I have become way too addicted to the ease of mindless scrolling to see what everyone else is up to. In an effort to avoid deactivating my account, I tried numerous tactics. I deleted a lot of "friends." I unfollowed 90% of the remaining friends I kept. I deleted a majority of the groups I'm in and pages I follow. I moved the app from my main apps used page. I've taken the app off my phone several times, only to readd it when I want to upload a picture (because you can only be all artsy fartsy edity through the app. Of course.) And even if the app is off of my phone, I can still get to it through Safari. BLAST! Every time I thought, "Yep, I need to deactivate..." I talked myself out of it. Because I need to sell things. Because I need it to create events for MNOs, birthday parties, park playdates. Because I need to keep up with my friends and family. Because I get lots of ideas and support from homeschool groups. Because of PICTURES.


Well, another big an even BIGGER thing going on currently is my relationship with Jesus. I have been focusing on the word "Listen." And for a while there, I was not listening to what God wanted me to do. I heard Him whispering to me and nudging me, but my flesh is weak and did not want to listen. Until finally, a week ago, I realized that I could find no balance, no moderation, when it came to my Facebook usage. I felt so chained. Even when the app is moved, my fingers would find it without me meaning to. Anytime I would get on my phone, I would find myself clicking the app and then kicking myself for clicking in! When the app was not on my phone, I would just get on through Safari. 


I am not as productive. I am too distracted. I am missing out on my children. I am missing out on God. So I decided to fast it. I deactivated a week ago, with the intention of staying off for 2 weeks. It's starting to fade, but initially I felt very irritated and ill that I wasn't able to get on. Which one, made/makes me feel crazy that it had/has such a hold on me, and two, makes me know for sure I made the right decision to leave. And even though I said I would only fast for two weeks, I have been thinking about not getting back on when the time is up. Not 100% sure what I will do, but if I can rid myself of this addiction, I'm not sure it will be worth going back to. 


So if you are reading this, I would greatly appreciate your prayers. Prayers that I can get through this. Prayers that I will know if I should go back or leave it altogether. Prayers that I have the ability to put my priorities in order.


No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

~1 Corinthians 10:13

1 comment:

  1. I literally LOL'd because I've done the same trying to chip away the pull of FB and you are right, it just doesn't work! However, in all seriousness, it is frustrating and the break does really help to see things in a new light. Thank you for being an encouragement to me. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete